How can your properties reduce costs and become more energy efficient?
American Utility Management can help. Our Energy Management solutions will help you reduce energy consumption and expense. Our in-house energy team will analyze your water and energy usage, and then we'll identify ways for you to reduce expense, eliminate waste and improve efficiency through:
- Energy management advisory services and sustainability planning
- Energy commodity procurement and management
- On-site energy audits including ROI tracking & analysis
- Water and energy conservation projects
- Utility rate & tariff analysis including tax exemption review
- Variance research and resolution to identify and fix issues that are driving up costs & usage
- Utility budget preparation
- Energy and water efficiency benchmarking
Energy Management Advisory Services and Sustainability Planning
Whether you are acquiring new assets or working diligently to
improve the NOI on your existing assets, our Energy Management Advisory Services will provide you with the expertise necessary to
create an energy management strategy that fits within your operation.
Consulting services include:
- Strategic energy and sustainability planning
- Energy conservation program design and execution
- Rebate analysis
Energy Commodity Procurement and Management
Property owners and managers with communities in deregulated markets have a choice in their energy rates. AUM will manage your energy commodity procurement process including negotiation and management of electric, natural gas and diesel fuel supply contracts. We'll ensure you maximize energy expense savings and limit your exposure to volatile market prices. Procurement services include:
- Procurement strategy
- Continuous Service Agreement and Resident Referral Program
- Interruptible Natural Gas Management
Our Energy Audit services can assist you in understanding the effects of energy usage and expense when acquiring new assets and evaluating existing assets. Our audits will identify and prioritize all of your energy optimization opportunities, as well as provide ROI on capital improvements and operational changes. Audits can consist of:
- Mechanical systems audit
- Lighting audit
- Building envelope audit
- Commodity contract review
Water and Energy Conservation Projects
AUM will identify electric, gas and water savings opportunities for your properties and provide you with an end-to-end conservation solution to save you money quickly. We’ll develop project proposals, manage project implementation and measure actual usage savings post-completion.
As your conservation partner, AUM will:
- Analyze historical energy and water usage data to identify properties with the greatest conservation opportunities
- Conduct on-site audits to validate cost assumptions and projected savings
- Develop conservation project proposals including costs, savings and ROIs
- Manage all aspects of retrofit and replacement project implementation
- Manage all rebates and warranties
- Provide ongoing post-installation usage reporting showing actual usage savings and ROI vs. projections
Utility Rate & Tariff Analysis
Our Utility Rate & Tariff Services ensure you are being charged the optimal rate for your energy and utilities. Given the extensive data we collect on your behalf through our Invoice Processing solution, we are able to identify rate savings opportunities through:
- Rate validation for all water, natural gas and electric commodities
- Tax exemption review and refund management
- Rate analysis against tariff sheets for individual utility accounts
Variance Research and Resolution
With our Invoice Processing solution, we capture invoice details which allow us to quickly identify cost and usage variances and anomalies. You decide on acceptable thresholds and if cost or usage for any utility is outside of that acceptable threshold, our Energy Team is automatically alerted and begins researching the issue. With Variance Research and Resolution, we work with your utility provider to investigate and fix the problem. Your team won’t have to spend their time tracking down utility discrepancies which can take months to research and resolve. Catching these issues quickly is critical to keeping your utility costs down.
Utility Budget Preparation
The preparation of energy and utility budgets can be a significant drain on your financial staff during the critical budget season. You can choose to use our online budget preparation tool or we can partner with your team to customize a budget solution to meet your needs including:
- Contacting your utility providers to investigate planned rate increases for the following year
- Analyzing your historical invoice trends to create a timely and more accurate prediction of next year's performance
- Importing the approved budget into your AP system upon approval
AUM SCORE Energy Efficiency Benchmarking
SCORE is the result of a year-long energy efficiency study created and commissioned by American Utility Management in conjunction with Georgia Tech University. Data from over 300 property owners representing 2,400 properties was used to construct this robust benchmarking application. SCORE Benchmarking allows you to compare a property’s energy and water efficiency to other similar properties in your portfolio as well as others within a given region. Once a score is attained, we partner with you to find energy efficiency opportunities.
ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager / Benchmarking Compliance
Many large cities have adopted an energy benchmarking ordinance which requires commercial and multifamily building owners to report building energy and water usage through the EPA’s Portfolio Manager tool. Are you prepared for these benchmarking requirements? AUM has already helped hundreds of properties like yours comply with mandated benchmarking requirements. We’ll gather, validate and upload the energy and water usage data necessary to ensure compliance with all filing requirements. To improve your score and save you money on your utilities, we’ll recommend ways for your properties to become more energy efficient.
The Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark is a leader in the standardized measurement of sustainability success. AUM will oversee report writing, coordinate client responses, conduct pre-file assessments, gather and upload all data and associated documents, and submit your annual GRESB report for you. AUM’s Energy Experts will then work with you and your properties to help you achieve efficiency gains, thereby improving your benchmarking scores.